Skip to main content

Relationships, Health & Wellbeing

We care about your health and we want you to feel supported to experience good physical and emotional health.

We will ensure transition from any health service you are receiving as a young person to appropriate adult services.
We will also help you in the following ways:

    • We will support you to access the information available about your health and health history.
    • We will support you, prior to you leaving care, in accessing local and national services so that by the time you have your final health assessment you are confident in having the adequate information needed.
    • With your consent, support you with accessing a local GP and who will ensure you are offered the necessary services around your health.


Base 51 is a charity set up in the heart of Nottingham to support a diverse range of young people, where everybody is welcome aged 11-25.

Through the project “Feeling Our Way”, they provide practical support and activities for young people leaving care. They are there to help you feel healthier, happier and positive about your future.

To find out more or get advice contact Base51 on 0115 9525040 or go to the Base 51 webpage for more information.


If you are a Parent

Your Personal Advisor can help you access support if you have a young child. You can access parenting groups and other support through our Early Help Services that are based in Children’s Centres across the city. Please ask your Personal Advisor how to do this because it will be different if you want some extra support. You may also be able to access support through the Family Nurse Partnership.

If you have a child aged 2 or more you may be able entitled to free childcare places for eligible 2 year olds. Eligible children will be entitled up to 15 hours per week of free early education for a total of 38 weeks. Free places are available in participating childcare providers across the city. You can find out more information about this, including finding out if you are eligible, by looking on the website Free Childcare for 2 Year Olds

You can also find out all about different activities for children across the city and about different childcare providers but looking on the Nottingham City services directory Ask Lion Website

Family Rights Group offers legal advice to families whose children are involved with local authority children’s services. They can be contacted on 0808 801 0366 (lines open Monday – Friday 9.30am -3.00pm) or by email at or go to FRG Website

Family Lives offers support to anyone in a parenting role for any parenting problem. You can contact parentline on 0808 800 2222 (lines open Monday - Friday 9am-9pm, Weekends 10am-3pm). Go to Family Lives Website

Families Information Service supports mothers and fathers by helping you to find the right childcare, listing lots of different activities for you to go to with your child as well as providing you with information about free childcare places for 2, 3 and 4 year olds. You can contact them on 0800 4584114 or go to Families Information Service Website

Care to Learn is for young parents aged 19 years and under. Funding is available to support with child care costs while you are studying. Go to Care to Learn Website

Drugs & Alcohol Support

Nottingham Recovery Network provide support, advice and treatment to people in Nottingham City who use drugs and alcohol in a problematic way.

Go to Nottingham Recovery Network Website

CGL Journey provides a free and confidential drug and alcohol service for young people up to the age of 19 (including offenders), families and carers in Nottingham. Go to CGL Website or call on 0115 948 4314 or email on

Mental Health

Samaritans can support you, whatever you are going through. They can be contacted 24/7 for free on 116 123. They are open every day of the year and you do not have to be suicidal to contact them. They are there to listen and support you. You can also email them at

Turn2me hosts online support groups on anxiety, suicidal thoughts & feelings, depression, stress management and general mental health issues. You need to book to join the sessions online. The online support groups are completely free and are run by qualified professionals who ensure every member is respected and heard. Once you select to join a group, your registration will be approved for the group and you will receive an email confirmation. Once the group is scheduled to start, you simply log on to Turn2me and the chat window will appear on the site.Turn2me an be accessed at Turn2me Website

HOPELineUK is a national confidential support service for any young people (under 35) at risk of suicide, or anyone worried about a young person at risk of suicide. The helpline is open 10am-10pm Monday-Friday, Weekends 2pm-10pm, and Bank Holidays 2pm-5pm. Tel: 0800 068 41 41 SMS: 07786 209697 Email:

NHS Choices Moodzone is a website that can help you if you are suffering with stress, anxiety or depression, or just the normal emotional ups and downs of life. It offers practical advice, interactive tools, videos and audio guides to help you feel mentally and emotionally better. Go to Moodzone Website

Framework Moving Forward provides free and confidential housing related support, in Nottingham City, to people experiencing mental health problems, helping them to avoid the pain of homelessness and to live independently. You can find out more at Moving Forward Website

Kooth is a confidential way for children and young people to receive free counselling, advice and support on-line. Staffed by fully trained and qualified counsellors and available Monday to Friday from 12 noon until 10pm each night, and weekends from 6pm to 10pm, 365 days per year, it provides a much needed confidential and instant access service for young people aged 11-25. Kooth Website


  • Advise you about contact with people special to you or who cared for you in the past, like former foster carers.
  • Help you to form and keep healthy, safe relationships with family and friends.
  • Help you access appropriate support if you become a parent such as parenting groups, access to the Family Nurse Partnership and early years support.
  • Work with you to ensure that you are not alone at Christmas.


We will help you to form and keep healthy safe relationships with family and friends. There are lots of organisations that you can call if things are not going so well and information about some of these are included below.

If you are in a relationship, there are various sources of support, including Relate. They can be accessed on Relate Website or by contacting 0300 100 1234. They can offer counselling relating to relationships, sex life, parenthood, and family life.

Women’s Aid Integrated Services is a charity working with women, children and teens who have been affected by domestic abuse. They cover Nottingham City and offer, Crisis support and drop ins, ongoing one to one support, refuge accommodation (BMER and Dispersed Refuge service), 12 week healthy relationship programmes (The Freedom Programme) and therapeutic groups for mums and children. They also run a 24 hour Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Freephone Domestic and Sexual Violence Helpline. This is where you can speak to one of our specialist trained female support workers 365 days a year on 0808 800 0340 (24 hour helpline)*. WAIS Website

Refuge is a national charity supporting women and children rebuild their lives and overcome many different forms of violence and abuse; for example domestic violence, sexual violence, so-called ‘honour’-based violence, human trafficking and modern slavery, and female genital mutilation. They provide a huge range of support all of which can be found on Refuge Website

Nottinghamshire Sexual Violence Support Services is available to survivors of all genders, aged 13+, and offers many services in addition to face-to-face counselling, with male and female counsellors, and Counselling Line services. Go to NottsSVSS Website

Mojatu Foundation is a Nottingham City based organisation leading in the global campaign to end female genital mutilation (FGM). They also work with partners in organising local, regional and international community events to reduce isolation and enhance social cohesion. Go to Mojatu Website

Karma Nirvana is a charity who supports victims of honour-based abuse and forced marriage. You can contact them by going to their website Karma Nirvana Website


  • Give you a reduced rate of £20 per month for your leisure pass when you reach 22 as hopefully by then you will be settled into a job.
  • Work closely with companies in Nottingham to offer some free tickets to sporting events. These will be offered on our website so you will need to keep a close eye on what we are offering!
Back to top  Back to topBack to topBack to top Help