Based on parent feedback, the Parent Education Team are offering choice of either face-to-face or online sessions. To book on to a session, please download and complete the booking forms via the link: https://www.nuh.nhs.uk/parent-and-antenatal-classes and return them to us by email so we can sort your request. If have difficulty completing our forms please email email@example.com or phone us on 0115 9691 169 ext. 55178
Parent education classes are a really good way for you and your partner/ supporter to receive guidance during pregnancy. You will then be better able to make informed decisions about your labour and birth preferences.
A variety of classes are available in your local community and also at the City Hospital in our parent education room. You can attend these sessions if you are booked to have your baby at QMC, City Hospital or at home. We recommend you start the classes when you are around 32 weeks pregnant, but do book as early as possible as the classes do get booked up.
The workshops are run by midwives or physiotherapists who specialise in maternity. All these workshops are open to people who are pregnant and their partners or birth supporters.
The kinds of topics covered by antenatal classes are:
- health in pregnancy, including a healthy diet
- exercises to keep you fit and active during pregnancy
- what happens during labour and birth
- coping with labour and information about different types of pain relief
- relaxation techniques
- information about different kinds of birth and interventions, such as forceps, vacuum delivery or caesarian sections.
- caring for your baby, including feeding
- emotions and feelings during pregnancy, birth and after
For information on our current parent and antenatal classes, please follow this link: https://www.nuh.nhs.uk/parent-and-antenatal-classes