Skip to main content

Benefits for Disabled Children & Families

The Families Information Service can help you choosing the right childcare to suit your child’s needs, including a brokerage service for parents experiencing difficulty in finding suitable care.

Please contact the Families Information Service (tel: 0800 458 4114) for a list of childcare providers around your home address.

Disability Access Fund (DAF)

What is the Disability Access Fund?

The Disability Access Fund (DAF) is part of the early years national funding formula introduced in April 2017. The DAF provides additional funding to support early years providers make reasonable adjustments to enable children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) access their funded early years entitlement hours.

The Disability Access Fund is £615 per year for eligible children.  Funding will be paid per year directly to one childcare provider nominated by the parent. The DAF is not based on an hourly rate and is an additional entitlement payable as a lump sum.

What are the eligibility criteria?

  • The child is in receipt of the three and four year old early education funding
  • The child is not attending a reception class in a primary or infant school/academy
  • The child is in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Additional criteria

  • Children do not need to take up all of their early education funded hours to be able to access the DAF
  • If a child is accessing their early education entitlement at more than one provider, the parent must nominate which provider will receive the DAF payment – the payment cannot be split
  • The childcare provider will decide how the Disability Access Fund will be spent in partnership with the parent
  • Funding cannot be used to pay for additional hours
  • Once funding for the year is paid, it will not be reclaimed even if the child leaves the setting
  •  If a child receiving DAF moves from one setting to another within a financial year, the new setting is not eligible to receive any Disability Access Funding for this child within the same financial year (1st April to 31st March).

Identifying eligible children

Early years providers are ultimately responsible for identifying eligible children. Providers should speak to parents in order to find out if their child is eligible for the DAF.

Providers must ensure parents complete the DAF declaration which can be found in the Parent and Provider Agreement for Free Entitlement Hours for Eligible 2, 3 and 4 Year Old Children, and the DAF application form attached.

Providers must also gain evidence that the child is in receipt of DLA). This information must then be shared with Nottingham City Council with parental consent.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

DLA is a tax-free benefit for children and adults who need extra help because of illness or disability. To claim for a child, they must need a lot more help or watching over than other children of the same age who do not have special needs. The two parts to disability living allowance are:

The care component – if your child needs extra help with their personal care. It is paid at three rates (lower, middle and high) dependent on individual circumstances.

The mobility component – if your child needs help with getting around. It is paid at two rates (lower and higher) dependent on individual circumstances.

Other benefits that you may be entitled to, such as Carers Allowance, require you to be in receipt of DLA before you can apply for them. It is therefore important that you make your DLA claim as early as possible.

Information on DLA can also be found at

Disability Living Allowance 
Telephone: 0800 121 4600

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) started to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) from 8 April 2013 for people aged 16 to 64 with a long-term health condition or disability.

PIP helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability. What you’ll get is not based on your condition, but how your condition affects you.

Please note: Most people getting DLA won’t be affected by PIP until 2015 or later.

Information on PIP can also be found at, (keyword search Personal Independence Payment).

Child Tax Credit (CTC) – disabled child element and severely disabled child element

You may get a disabled child element for each child or young person you are responsible for if you receive Disability Living Allowance. You may get a severely disabled child element for each child or young person you are responsible for if you receive the highest rate care component of Disability Living Allowance for them.

For more information visit ,(keyword search child tax credit) or call the Tax Credits helpline on 0345 300 3900 to order a claim pack.

Carers Allowance

You may be entitled to this if you are spending at least 35 hours a week caring for a person who gets the middle or high rate of the care component of DLA. The weekly rate for carers allowance is up to £58.45, but eligibility will depend on certain criteria including your weekly earnings.

For more information visit, (keyword search carer’s allowance) or contact the Carer’s Allowance Unit on 0845 608 4321.

Council Tax reduction

If you or any member of your household is disabled and your home has at least one of the following features:

  • a second bathroom or kitchen required for meeting the needs of the disabled person
  • a room set aside to provide specific facilities for the disabled person  
  • sufficient room for the disabled person to use their wheelchair indoors

you may qualify for a reduction in your Council Tax bill.

If you want more information about reductions for people with disabilities, contact the Council Tax Office.

By Telephone

The Council Tax and Benefits service hours of opening are 8:30am to 5pm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday and 9:30am to 5pm on Thursday.

The service does have a 24 hour telephone self-service which can answer frequently asked questions. You can also use the self-service facility to make a payment through the automated payment line:

Council Tax 24 hour self-service: 0115 718 1777

Automated payment line: 0800 052 0173

Benefit 24 hour self-service line: 0115 718 4444


In Writing

Council Tax

Admail 3428




In Person

Customer Contact Centre

Central Library

Angel Row



This service is available: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 8.30am to 5pm

This service is available: Thursday 9.30am to 5pm


By email

Email us at

Back to top   Help