Skip to main content

Local Offer Health Support

Health Services are NHS services (though some may be arranged by the NHS and delivered by other organisations) which are provided to help people keep healthy. This may include diagnosis and treatment of illness, care for long term conditions and therapy services to maximise children and young people’s abilities, and mental health support.

Health services are delivered by different professionals and teams. On this page you will find information on specialist health care services for children and young people with disabilities.

Health Visiting 0 to 5

For information on general early years support including child development, immunisations  and developmental reviews by the  please click on the following link: Health Visiting 0-5 year olds

Public Health Nursing Service

What is the Public Health Nursing Service?

  • The Community Public Health Nursing Service (5-19) is led by a Specialist Public Health Nurse and includes Registered Nurses, Nursery Nurses, Health Care Assistants and Administrators. The team works alongside a variety of professionals including teachers, parents, carers, children and young people to promote and maintain good health.
  • Young people have a right to speak to a health professional and it be confidential except where there is a risk to themselves or others. However, we always encourage young people to speak to their parent or carer.
  • The Community Public Health Nursing Service (5-19) are an ‘all year round service’ for all 5-19 year olds and work in schools, health centres, homes and other venues to meet the needs of children and their families.
  • For information about Nottinghamshire services in Rushcliffe, Broxtowe and Gedling follow this link
  • These services works 8.30am – 5pm Monday to Friday but can also work out of hours if required.
  • Public Health Nursing Teams details can be found here

GP Registering & Support

             How can I register with a GP?

  • All Children and Young People should be registered with a GP from Birth. This is a parent/carer’s responsibility. If your child has not been registered, or you wish to move practice, you can find more information about the practices in your area by accessing the GP finder on the NHS website: Find GP Services

              What support can a GP offer?

  • Your families’ GP will be the main point of contact for your family for all of your health needs. They will refer you to other NHS services if your child requires specialist support. If your child is accessing any NHS provided health services (for example Occupational Therapy, Speech and Language Therapy, Physiotherapy or Community Paediatrician) then they will request information from, and share information with your GP.
  • In addition to the wide range of support that GPs provide, they provide additional support for children and young people, over the age of 14 and with learning disabilities via an Annual Health Check. 

Annual Health Check

Young people aged 14 or above who have a learning disability can have a free health check every year. The health check is done by your own local GP. It is a good way for a young person to get to know their doctor better, and for the doctor to find out more about them. If you have not been invited for an annual health check, please contact your doctor who will arrange for one to take place. Find out more on the NHS website and/or you can read this Mencap Easy Read Guide


Contact have produced a useful factsheet for parents of a children or young people with learning disabilities. It has information on GP learning disability registers and annual health checks, why they are important and how you can support your child or young person to access the services they are entitled to.

Community Paediatrics

What does the service do?

  • Community Paediatrics are specialist children’s doctors (Paediatricians) and nurses who have expertise in a range of medical and developmental conditions, including complex disability. Clinics may be held in Health Centres or Hospital settings.

Who do Community Paediatricians see?

Community Paediatricians may see children and young people where there are concerns about:

  • development and late milestones in young children, complex disability requiring medical management.
  • Concerns about genetic conditions or specific syndromes.
  • Children with brain injury, extreme preterm, hearing/vision impairment who require assessment/ongoing input.
  • General Paediatric medical problems (e.g. growth concerns, possible fits or seizures etc).
  • Assessment for ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder or Tics.

Age Range

  • 0-18


Who can refer to the service?

  • Referral is via your GP.



  • Nottingham University Trust Hospitals (including Broxtowe, Gedling & Rushcliffe) Tel: 0115 840 4848.


  • Further information
  • For further information please click on the icon below:

Community Paediatrics Leaflet

The Special Needs Dental Service

What does the service do?

  • Patients are referred to the service if they can't go to the dentist because of some impairments, disability or complex medical condition.
  • The Special Needs Dental Service is provided by Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS trust. You may be referred to the service if you are unable to access routine dental care in a general dental practice due to some impairment, disability or complex medical condition.

This may include:

  • Learning disabilities
  • Severe Mental Health problems
  • Autistic Spectrum Disorders
  • Severe physical problems
  • Children in Care
  • Very young children with extensive decay
  • Severe medical problems
  • Life limiting conditions
  • Very nervous children


Who can refer to the service?

  • Your dentist, GP or other health professional will need to make a referral to the service.

How can I get further information on the service?

  • You can contact the service on telephone number 0115 993 5540 (Monday to Friday 08:30 to 4:30pm) or you can click on the icon below:

Special Needs Dental Service Leaflet

Children’s Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy

What does the service do?

  • The service provides physiotherapy and occupational therapy assessment and treatment for children who have a disability or long term condition affecting their movement or mobility.
  • They provide advice on equipment and management. They work closely with parents and carers and other services involved with the child to provide effective care.

Age Range

  • 0 - 18

Who Can Refer to the Service?

  • A referral to either service must come through a paediatrician or consultant. For help with this please speak to your GP or health visitor.

Service Opening Hours

  • Service opening hours are 8:30am – 5pm Monday to Friday.

Contact Details

  • Child Development Centre, City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB
    Telephone: 0300 123 3387

Adult Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy

What does the service do?

  • Physiotherapy is the treatment of injury and disease by enhancing the body’s own natural healing mechanisms. In effect, Physiotherapists teach people to help themselves to better health, so whatever your age or condition, Physiotherapists are able to get you back to your best
  • Common treatment options Physiotherapists use are …exercise, manual therapy, postural correction and advice, plus many more!
  • Examples of conditions Physiotherapy may be able to help:
    • Joint and muscle symptoms
    • Back and Neck symptoms
    • Rehabilitation after fractures or orthopaedic surgery
    • Soft tissue injuries
    • Whiplash
    • Sports injuries

Age Range

  • 18+

Who can refer to the service?

  • You will need a referral from your GP to access the service.

Service opening hours

  • Monday to Friday between 08:00 and 16:30.

Contact details

  • You can contact the service on telephone number: 0300 131 0300.

Specialist Physiotherapy Intellectual Disabilities Service

What does the service do?

They work with adults who have an intellectual disability in the City and in the County. Physiotherapists help people reach their full physical potential, so that they can be as independent as possible.

The key aims of physiotherapy are to:

  • improve movement
  • promote physical ability
  • maintain good body posture
  • Service users will be seen in the best place for them. This might be at home, in day centres, group homes, supported living, clinics, or inpatient areas.

Age Range

  • 18+ years of age

Who can refer to the service?

  • You will need a referral from your GP to access the service.

Service opening hours

  • 8:30am-4:30pm Monday to Friday. 

Contact details

You can contact the service by using the numbers below (depending on where you live):

  • Broxtowe CLDT, Prospect House, Padge Road, Beeston, Nottinghamshire, NG9 2JR
    Telephone: 0115 876 0114
  • Gedling CLDT, Sir John Robinson Way, Arnold, Nottinghamshire, NG5 6DB.
    Telephone: 0115 876 0114
  • Nottingham City Physiotherapy Team, Moorgreen House, Highbury Hospital, Highbury Road, Bulwell, Nottingham, NG6 9DR.
    Telephone: 0115 854 2203
  • Rushcliffe CLDT, Rushcliffe Day Centre Offices, Loughborough Road, West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire, NG2 7FA.
    Telephone: 0115 876 0114

Further Information

Adult Occupational Therapy

What does the service do?

  • Occupational therapy looks for solutions to the practical difficulties you are having at home.
  • Depending on your needs the Occupational Therapist can supply equipment (on long term loan) to help you stay living in your own home. For example: specialised shower seats, chair raise, toilet equipment.
  • Adaptations and alterations to your home may help you manage essential daily activities more easily. For example: stair rails, grab rails, stair lifts.

Age Range

  • 18+ years of age

Who can refer to the service?

  • Anyone can make a referral; which could be a person with a deaf or visual impairment, a professional (with consent), or a family member/friend (with consent).


Further information & Contact details

  • For further information and contact details please click here

Children's Speech and Language Therapy Services

The Children's Speech and Language Therapy Service supports children in Nottingham city and county. We help children from birth to the end of school.

Children meeting the service entry criteria will receive assessment, diagnosis and support. These are delivered in different places, depending on what your child needs.

Who we work with

We work with children who need support with:

  • Understanding what is being said to them
  • Listening and following instructions
  • Using words and linking words together 
  • Saying sounds and speaking clearly
  • Communicating and interacting with other people
  • Using alternative ways of communicating
  • Having a healthy voice
  • Eating and drinking
  • Talking fluently

 Once your child’s referral to Specialist Speech and Language Therapy is accepted, you will be invited by text to phone in for an appointment. You will be phoned by a member of the team and asked questions about your child and your concerns.  Advice and recommendations will be given, and the ‘next steps’ agreed.

We use interpreters for families when appropriate and have access to interpreters in a wide range of languages.

Speech and Language Therapy (Children), Nottinghamshire speech therapy | Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Wheelchair Services

How can I get a wheelchair?

  • Referrals can only be accepted from GP's, Therapists (Physio or OT), Community Nurses and Hospital Staff. Ask your health professional to refer you to your local wheelchair service for an assessment. You'll need to do this before you can get an NHS wheelchair.
  • The local wheelchair service will decide if you need a wheelchair and, if so, what type.

Personal Wheelchair Budgets

  • A personal wheelchair budget is a resource available to support people’s choice of wheelchair, either within NHS commissioned services or outside NHS commissioned services. Personal wheelchair budgets enable postural and mobility needs to be included in wider care planning and can support people to access a wider choice of wheelchair.
  • From 2 December 2019, people who access wheelchair services, whose posture and mobility needs impact their wider health and social care needs, will have a legal right to a personal wheelchair budget.
  • For further information please click on the following link: Personal Wheelchair Budgets

Wheelchair Services in Nottingham

  • Mobility Centre Nottingham University Hospitals - Nottingham City Hospital on Hucknall Road, near Side Gate 3, Hucknall Road, Nottingham, NG5 1PB Tel: 0115 969 1169 ext. 57581/57552
  • email:

Continence Support & Services (Children & Adults)

Children's Continence Support

  • If you need support around your child's continence please contact your local Healthy Family Practitioner Team to obtain advice and support on management. You can obtain contact details on your local Healthy Family Team by clicking on the following link:    Public Health Nursing Teams.

    Specialist continence advice is available for children over 4 years from the paediatric continence advisory service.  Referrals can be made by your community public health nurse (health visitor or school nurse), paediatrician or GP, following Level one support. Paedatric Continence Advisory Service :: Nottingham City Care

Specialist Continence Advisory Service (Adults)

  • They offer a confidential continence service for people over 18 years of age.
  • They provide high quality assessments for people with complex bladder and bowel problems. They aim to identify the cause of the problem and offer treatment to help people to self-manage. For people identified with more complex needs they facilitate further referral and signposting for assessment and treatment within the health community.
  • They provide specialist nurse-led clinics in a variety of community settings. 

Contact details:

  • Sherwood Rise Health Centre
    29 Nottingham Road
    Sherwood Rise
    Nottingham, NG7 7AD.
    Phone: 0115 8838900
    Fax: 0115 8838966

Further information and advice

Children’s Nursing Services

What does the service do?

  • They provide a range of nursing services for children and young people who have a learning disability, physical disability and/or a complex health condition.
  • These services include:
    • children's community nursing
    • short breaks, day care and overnight short breaks for children living in Nottingham City
    • a range of paediatrician led clinics

Age Range

  • The services are available to children and young people aged 0 – 19.

Who can refer to the service?

  • The team accept referrals from parents/carers, school nurses, health visitors, GPs, social services, education, hospital and community services.

Service Opening Hours

  • Service opening hours Monday to Friday, 8:30am - 5pm.

Contact Details

  • Nottingham City and the south of the county: Children's Development Centre, Nottingham City Hospital Campus, Hucknall Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB
    Telephone: 0300 123 3387

Special School Nursing

This service provides nursing support and advice on health issues for children and young people, and their families and carers. They also support the move from children's healthcare to adult healthcare when young people leave school.  If a child or young person attends one of the schools listed below, they receive the special school nursing service.

School Contact details:

  • Nethergate Academy – Telephone: 0115 9152959
  • Rosehill School – Telephone: 0115 9155815
  • Westbury Academy – Telephone: 0115 9155858
  • Woodlands Academy – Telephone: 0115 9155734
  • Ash Lea School – Telephone: 0115 989 3984
  • Beech Academy– Telephone: 01623 491 027
  • Bracken Hill School – Telephone: 01623 491 027
  • Carlton Digby School – Telephone: 0115 883 9122
  • Derrymount Schools – Telephone: 0115 883 1101
  • Fountaindale School – Telephone: 01623 491 027
  • Oak Field School and Sports College – Telephone: 0115 883 5487
  • Orchard School – Telephone: 01636 705 826
  • Redgate School – Telephone: 01623 491 027
  • Sutherland House Family of Schools – Telephone: 0115 989 3984
  • Yeoman Park School – Telephone: 01623 491 02

Youth Justice Service Nursing Service

Who are they?

They are a small nursing team which provides health needs assessments to children and young people within the criminal justice system. They are part of the wider Children in Care and Adoption Team for the City and County.

What does the service do?

They reduce health inequalities and improve health outcomes for vulnerable children and young people who are under the supervision of the Nottingham City and Nottinghamshire County Youth Justice Services. 

The team delivers health interventions for 10 to 19-year-olds to:

  • improve psychological wellbeing, emotional and mental health
  • promote healthy eating and lifestyle choices
  • promote and increase uptake of the immunisation programme
  • reduce teenage pregnancy and improve sexual health through contraception advice and offering C-Card
  • reduce the impact of substance misuse and reduce avoidable injuries and harm
  • They also support the wider Youth Offending Team and court processes by contributing to reports and risk and vulnerability assessments.

Opening Hours

  • The City Service is open from 8:30am - 6pm, Monday-Friday. Appointments outside of these times can be arranged if necessary.
  • The County Service is open from 8am - 4pm, Monday-Friday.

Contact Details

  • The City Service is based at: NGY my place, 29-31 Castlegate, Nottingham, NG1 7AR.
    Telephone: 0115 8763147 or 07818 271 650 or 0776636469
  • The County Service that covers Broxtowe, Gedling and Rushcliffe. is based at: Bilsthorpe Surgery, 35 Mickledale Lane, Bilsthorpe, Newark, Nottinghamshire, NG22 8QB
    Telephone: 01623 870805 or 07767 425470

Further Information

For further details on the service please click on the following link: Youth Offending Service

Community Intellectual Disability Nursing Team

What does the service do?

The Community Intellectual Disability Nursing Team are a group of Specialist Learning Disability Nurses based in the Community Learning Disability Teams (CLDT's)

Community nurses can help with:

  • emotional and behaviour needs
  • epilepsy
  • health screening
  • understanding your own health needs
  • help with medication
  • healthy eating
  • getting the right help you need from all health services
  • health action plans

They will talk to you about the help you need and how they can support you. This may include:

  • working with your family and support staff
  • giving you advice
  • working with Adult Services and other agencies
  • Working with other health professionals e.g. doctor, hospital, dentist etc

They can give you advice about physical and mental health conditions. We can assess your health needs. We might work with you as an individual, or in a group.

Age Range

The service is for adults (18-65) with a diagnosis of an intellectual disability. 

Who can refer to the service?

It could be a person with an intellectual disability, a professional or a family member/friend.

Service Opening Hours

Service Opening Times - Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm (excluding bank holidays).

Contact Details

Please contact the district office where you live:

  • Broxtowe: Prospect House, Padge Road, Beeston, Nottingham, NG9 2JR
    Telephone: 0115 804 1150
  • City North: Bulwell Riverside, Main Street, Bulwell , Nottinghamshire, NG6 8QJ
    Telephone: 0115 883 8588
  • City South: Cornerstone Building, South Church Drive, Clifton, Nottinghamshire, NG11 8EW
    Telephone: 0115 878 6270
  • Gedling: Sir John Robinson Way, Arnold, Nottinghamshire, NG5 6DB
    Telephone: 0115 854 6254
  • Rushcliffe: Rushcliffe Day Centre Offices, Loughborough Road, West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire, NG2 7FA
    Telephone: 0115  804 2243

Further Information

For further information please click on the following link: Community Intellectual Learning Disability Team

Epilepsy and Intellectual Disability Services

What is the service?

  • They provide assessment and treatment for adults with complex epilepsy and learning disability across Nottinghamshire. 

Who can they support?

  • People in whom diagnosis and treatment can be challenging, and special expertise is needed to diagnose and manage their condition. This includes people with complex behavioural, sleep, movement, communication, and psychiatric disorders;
  • Patients with poorly controlled epilepsy;
  • Patients who have difficulty accessing mainstream health services and clinical investigations;
  • People who have epilepsy in association with particular brain disorders, and people with Down’s syndrome and dementia;
  • Teenagers in transition to adult services, to make the transition smooth for those with complex epilepsies, and teenagers with profound and multiple needs;
  • Healthcare professionals and community care providers who need specialist advice, education and training.

What can the service offer?

  • Specialist epilepsy assessment, diagnosis and treatment
  • Access to investigations (MRI, EEG, Neuropsychology)
  • Inpatient video/EEG telemetry
  • Epilepsy surgery assessment
  • A vagal nerve stimulator service
  • Information to help patients stay safe
  • Transitional care from Paediatric Services
  • Information and resources to increase understanding and concordance with treatment
  • Liaison and signposting to other specialist learning disability services
  • Advice about emergency treatment
  • A telephone advice line
  • Education and training
  • Multi-disciplinary clinics

Epilepsy Clinics

The Team provides regular clinics at the QMC, Nottingham City Hospital, King’s Mill Hospital and Highbury Hospital. Some clinics are jointly run with other specialists to meet individual’s specific health needs, such as:

  • Teenage transition clinics in local special schools and hospital based clinics with paediatric services;
  • Neurology and learning disability psychiatry clinics;
  • Community based clinics and home visits to those with complex behavioural or palliative care needs.

Who can refer to the service?

  • They accept referrals from healthcare and social care professionals only. Self-referrals are not accepted. 
  • Contact – The service operates a telephone advice service within working hours. The number is 0115 8542248.
  • Further information – For further information on the service please click on the following link: Epilepsy Support

Mental Health Support for Children & Young People

What is mental health?

Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.

Over the course of your life, if you experience mental health problems, your thinking, mood, and behaviour could be affected. Many factors contribute to mental health problems, including:

  • Biological factors, such as genes or brain chemistry
  • Life experiences, such as trauma or abuse
  • Family history of mental health problems
  • Mental health problems are common but help is available. People with mental health problems can get better and many recover completely.

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) are for children/young people up to 18 years old. They offer a range of services for children and young people who are experiencing issues with their emotional wellbeing and mental health from mild to complex. The service offers a mix of consultation, assessment and therapy.

What services do they offer?

CAMHS services include the following:

How do I access the service?

  • If you are aged between 12 and 18 years old and have a Nottinghamshire GP, you can self-refer to CAMHS. This means that you can directly approach the team to ask for help. 

CAMHS / Single Point of Access (SPA):

  • Are aged 0 to 18 (the pathway extends up to the age of 24 where the young person has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)).
  • Referral from GP or other professional
  • If you wish to speak to someone about a child or young person’s emotional or mental health needs – please contact the Single Point of Access on 0115 876 4000 or the Behavioural and Emotional Health Team on 0115 8761716
  • Self-Referral via Behavioural & Emotional Health Team
  • If you prefer you can speak to your GP, school health nurse or an adult in school who can get in touch with CAMHS. Any other professional who works with you like a social worker, counsellor or youth worker can also contact CAMHS to find out how we can help you.

How can I access other mental health support?

General Mental Health Support for Children and Young People

Families Under Pressure videos - During this stressful and cooped-up time, don’t let the pressure of parenting get you down. Try these simple tricks and tips, formulated by Professor Edmund Sonuga-Barke and the POP-UP team, which are backed by science and proven to work with families.

Anna Freud - Information on mental health and emotional wellbeing for CYP and their families

Telephone: 020 7794 2313


NHS Every Mind Matters - Every Mind Matters is an online app that helps you to manage and maintain your mental health. Includes Coronavirus advice.

Childline - On line and phone support for children. It also includes a Calm Zone to help them let go of worries and anxiety.

Telephone: 0800 1111

Health for Kids - Information on physical, mental and emotional wellbeing of children in Nottingham.

Health for Teens - Information on physical, mental and emotional wellbeing of teenagers in Nottingham.

Family Lives - Help and support for families that are struggling with their relationships or during periods of change.

Telephone: 0808 800 2222


Mental Health Foundation - Website for general preventative advice and guidance about mental health.

Mencap - Advice and information on learning disability.

Telephone: 0808 808 1111


Young Minds - Site provides support to both parents and frontline workers to improve outcome for children and families who need mental health services. There is a range of information to support children and young people experiencing difficulties. COVID-19 advice to help young people cope is available on the website.

Opening times: Monday to Friday 9.30am – 4pm, free for mobiles and landlines.

Telephone: 0808 802 5544 (Parents Helpline)

Wellness in Mind - Information, advice and support for residents experiencing issues with their mental wellbeing.

Telephone: 0800 561 0073

Samaritans - Emotional support for anyone in distress.

Telephone: 116 123


Available support for Children and Young People with Anxiety & Depression

Anxiety UK - Run by people with experience of living with anxiety, stress or anxiety-based depression, supported by a high-profile medical advisory panel.

Opening times: Helpline 9.30am-5.30pm Mon-Fri. Weekend helpline 10 am-8 pm. Online chat.

Telephone: 03444 775774


Base 51 - Emotional health and wellbeing services, including counselling for young people living in south of county and city.

Telephone: 0115 952 5040

Kooth - Free, safe and anonymous online support for young people: Young people who want to talk to a mental health professionals online, anonymously and free.

Opening times: Chatline open Mon– Fri 12pm – 10pm; Sat– Sun 6pm – 10pm.

No Panic - Confidential Helpline and support for people who experience panic attacks, phobias, obsessive compulsive disorders (OCD) and other related anxiety disorders. Also provides support for carers of people living with the above.

Opening times: Helpline available 10 am to 10 pm.

Telephone: Youth Helpline 0330 606 1174

Telephone: Helpline 0844 967 4848


OCD Action - Support and information for anybody affected by Obsessive Compulsive Disorders.

Telephone: 0845 390 6232


Specialist support for Children and Young People with mild – severe mental health difficulties

Beat - Support for anyone living with an eating disorder, their family, friends, carers, schools or employers via helplines, chat rooms, one-to-one web chats and email.

Opening times: Mon - Fri 12pm - 8pm; weekends 4pm - 8pm

Telephone: Helpline 0808 801 0677

Telephone: Studentline 0808 801 0811

Telephone: Youthline 0808 801 0711


Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) - Behavioural, emotional and mental health support for those aged between 0-18.

This support is provided as part of the Nottingham City pathway for children and young people with behavioural, emotional or mental health needs. The pathway is for children and young people who:

  • Present with concerns about their behaviour, emotional wellbeing or mental health
  • Present with concerns about possible ASD or ADHD
  • Are registered with a NHS Nottingham City GP
  • Are aged 0 to 18 (the pathway extends up to the age of 24 where the young person has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

Opening times: 9am -5pm

Telephone: Single Point of Access 0115 8764000

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) 0-18 years - For Children and Young People 0-18 years who are experiencing mild to complex emotional and mental health difficulties.

Telephone: 0115 854 2299

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) Crisis Resolution Home Treatment Team - For Children and Young People 0-18 years with a mental health crisis: at risk of immediate and significant self-harm.

Telephone: 0115 854 2299 or 0115 844 0560

First Steps Eating Disorders - Dedicated eating disorders support service available to further education and higher education students. You can self-refer directly through the website or via your student support service.

Telephone: 01332 367571


Support with Self-harm and/or suicidal ideation for children and young people

SHARP (Self-Harm Awareness & Resource Project) - Work with schools to support children and young people with self-harm and/or suicidal thoughts and behaviours.

Telephone: 0115 876 4000

Text: 0786 000 213

CALM - Suicide prevention support particularly for boys and men aged 15 to 35.

Opening times: 5.00 pm until midnight

Telephone: 0800 58 58 58

PAPYRUS HOPELINE UK - Suicide prevention for young people up to 35.

Opening times: 9am – 10pm weekdays, 2pm – 10pm weekends and bank holidays.

Telephone: 0800 068 4141

Harmless - Self-harm support

Telephone: 0115 880 0280


The Tomorrow Project - Suicide Prevention, support for those in suicide crisis, open to all ages.

Telephone: 0115 880 0280


Papyrus - Suicide prevention for children and young people.

Telephone: 0800 068 4141


Shout - Text support service for anyone in crisis anytime, anywhere. If you’re struggling to cope and you need immediate help.

Text Shout to 85258

Support for children and young people witnessing or experiencing abuse including Domestic and Sexual Abuse

Imara - Imara is an independent specialist service that supports children, young people and their family following a disclosure or discovery of child sexual abuse. Website has a range of support materials including self-help information and links to other support that is available that they would recommend.

Juno Women's Aid - Support for women and children affected by domestic abuse.

Telephone: 0808 800 0340


Notts Sexual Violence Support Services - Emotional support to anybody aged 13 and over who has experienced rape, sexual violence or childhood sexual abuse, either recently or in the past, or for others who may be worried.

Telephone: 0115 941 0440


Refuge - Providing specialist support to women, children and some men escaping domestic violence and other forms of violence.

Telephone: 0808 2000 247

Support for children and young people worried about or caring for their caregivers

Jigsaw - Nottingham - Support people up to the age of 18 with their drug and alcohol use. Also support for families, carers and friends.

Telephone: 0115 948 4314


Action for young carers - Action for Young Carers (AYC) is a free and confidential service that supports young carers in Nottingham City. Funded by Nottingham City Council, AYC provides young carers with the chance to get together, have fun and access the help they need.

Telephone: 0115 9629351 /2/3 or 0115 9629349

Text or phone 07814 678 460


Child bereavement services

Child Bereavement UK - We help children and young people (up to age 25), parents, and families, to rebuild their lives when a child grieves or when a child dies.

Telephone: 0800 02 888 40

CRUSE Bereavement Care - We offer support, advice and information to children, young people and adults when someone dies.

Telephone: 0808 808 1677


Hope Again - Hope Again is the youth website of Cruse Bereavement Care. It is a safe place where you can learn from other young people, how to cope with grief, and feel less alone.

Grief Encounter

National services include:

  • Grief Talk call, email or instant chat support for bereaved children and young people and those caring for them 9am-9pm Monday to Friday.
  • resources for bereaved children and young people, families and professionals.
  • training courses and bespoke training including Good Grief training course.

Telephone: 0808 802 0111

Winston's Wish

National services include:

  • national helpline for all those caring for a child or young person who has been bereaved.
  • website with activities for children and young people and facility to ask questions of a trained clinician.
  • programme of direct support for families bereaved through suicide, murder or manslaughter.
  • resources including books and memory boxes.
  • training courses and bespoke training.

Telephone: 08088 020 021

Mental Health Support for Adults

Community Mental Health Teams (CMHT)

  • They work with service users who have mental health difficulties which require the involvement of specialist mental health services and cannot be managed by the GP surgery.
  • They provide care management and general emotional support, through to specific and other modes of therapy that will help with recovery. Wherever possible, they help to discharge service users back to the care of their GP once a stable period of recovery is achieved. 

Age Range

  • This service is for men and women aged between 18 and 65 and those over 65 who are already accessing adult mental health services.

Who can refer to the service?

  • All referrals to the service have to be made by a GP. If you need support you therefore must discuss this with your GP.


  • CMHT Broxtowe and Hucknall – Hope Centre, Dovecote House, 38 Wollaton Road, Beeston, Nottingham, NG9 2NR.
    Tel: 0115 854 1271
  • CMHT Gedling – Manor Road, Carlton, Nottingham, NG4 3AY.
    Tel:0115 952 4098
  • CMHT Rushcliffe – 93 Musters Road, West Bridgford, Nottingham. NG2 7PG.
    Tel: 0115 945 5990, option 1
  • CRHT South Nottinghamshire – Highbury Hospital, Highbury Road, Bulwell, Nottingham, NG6 9DR.
    Telephone: 0300 1232901

Further Information

  • For further information please click on the following link: CRHT Website

The Nottingham Centre for Transgender Health

What is the service?

  • The Nottingham Centre for Transgender Health is an NHS clinic for people who want support with their gender.

Service Opening Hours

  • Monday – Friday, 9am - 5pm.

Contact Details

  • The Nottingham Centre for Transgender Health,
    12 Broad Street,
    NG1 3AL

Telephone: 0115 876 0160

Further Information

For further information please click on the following link: Transgender Health

The Designated Medical/Clinical Officer

  • The Designated Medical Officer or Designated Clinical Officers play a key role in implementing the Children and Families Act reforms and supporting joined up working between health services and local authorities. They support the Integrated Care board (ICB, formerly Nottingham and Nottinghamshire CCG and Bassetlaw CCG) in meeting its statutory responsibilities for children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities between the ages of 0 and 25. 

    This is a non-statutory role, which would usually be carried out by a paediatrician but the role can be undertaken by a suitably competent qualified and experienced nurse or other health professional in which case the role would be the Designated Clinical Officer (DCO). 

    Contacts in Nottinghamshire

    Designated Clinical Officer for Special Education Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

    on behalf of Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Integrated Care board (ICB)

    Address: Sir John Robinson House, Sir John Robinson Way, Arnold, Nottingham, NG5 6DA


Children & Young People’s Continuing Care

What is Children and Young People's Continuing Care?

  • Continuing Care is a package of care, which is arranged and funded by the NHS for children up to the age of 18 who may have very complex care needs. This may be the result of:
    • Congenital conditions
    • long-term or life-limiting conditions
    • disability
    • serious illness or injury
    • Children with such complex needs may need additional health support to that which is routinely available from GP practices, hospitals or in the community.

Who is eligible for Continuing Care?

  • Any child or young person up to their 18th birthday who has a complex health need may be eligible.

How can you access Continuing Care?

  • A referral can be made by any health professional or carer who feels a continuing care package may be required.
  • When a child or young person is referred for an assessment, the Integrated Care Board (ICB) might first check if they are likely to need a full assessment.
  • The assessment will look at the current care being provided but a decision on whether or not a child or young person has a continuing care need is based on the nature of their needs, rather that the care available, or whether or not they have a particular condition.

Who decides and what happens next?

  • The health assessor will make a case to a panel of experts, who decide based on the evidence, and the recommendation, if the child or young person has a continuing care need.
  • A decision is usually made 6-8 weeks from referral.
  • Depending on the decision, a package of care is then agreed; some of this care may be provided through existing services; some may need to be specially arranged.
  • The ICB will keep the package of care under regular review to ensure the developing child or young person’s needs continue to be supported.

Contact details

Further Information

  • You can read further information on Children's Continuing Care by clicking on the icon below:

Continuing Care Leaflet

NHS Continuing Healthcare (Adults)

What is NHS Continuing Healthcare?

  • NHS continuing healthcare is an ongoing package of health and social care that is arranged and funded solely by the NHS where an individual is found to have a primary health need. Such care is provided to an individual aged 18 or over to meet needs that have arisen as a result of disability, accident or illness.

Who is eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare?

  • People over 18 years of age who have been assessed as having a 'primary health need' are entitled to NHS Continuing Healthcare. Eligibility for NHS Continuing Healthcare is not dependent on a particular disease, diagnosis or condition, nor on who provides the care or where that care is provided. To determine whether or not you have a primary health need there will be an assessment of eligibility. A multi-disciplinary team of professionals will assess whether or not you have a primary health need. 

What services can I receive if I am entitled to NHS Continuing Healthcare?

  • If you are eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare, your Integrated Care Board (ICB) will be responsible for your care planning, commissioning services and your case management. The ICB will discuss options with you as to how your care and support needs will be best provided for and managed.

Will I have to pay for NHS Continuing Healthcare?

  • No. The NHS care package provided should meet your health and associated social care needs as identified in your care plan. The care plan should set out the services to be funded and/or provided by the NHS. In some circumstances you may wish to purchase additional private care services, but this decision must be voluntary. Any additional services that you choose to purchase should not be meeting the assessed needs for which ICB is responsible.

Does NHS Continuing Healthcare last forever?

  • Not necessarily. Once eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare, your care will be funded by the NHS. You should normally have a review of your care package after three months, and then every twelve months. The focus of these reviews should be on whether your care plan or arrangements remain appropriate to meet your needs.  

Who do I contact to discuss NHS Continuing Healthcare?

  • You can contact the following number to discuss continuing healthcare in the greater Nottingham area, telephone: 0115 883 9378

Further information

  • You can access further information on NHS Continuing Health Care by clicking the icon below, an Easy Read Guide is also available:

NHS Continuing Healthcare and NHS-funded Nursing Care

Continuing Healthcare Easy Read

NHS Services & Health Easy Read Guides

  • The NHS website provides a range of information on health conditions, medicines, GP online services, NHS services and healthy living. The website also enables you to search for a variety of different services such as GP's, dentists, pharmacy's and your nearest Accident & Emergency.  

Easy Read Guides

  • You can also find out more information on the Easy health website on a range of health topics in an easy read format, from asthma to going into hospital to X-rays.

Health Support Organisations & Services

Please click on the icon below to access details of health support organisations and services:

health support organisations

Complaints & Advice

Queries, Comments, Concerns and Complaints

The Patient Experience Team deals with patient complaints and advice for most of the Trust's services.

Contact the Patient Experience Team:

  • Tel: 0115 993 4542 (the office is open Monday to Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm, excluding bank holidays)
  • Email: or
  • Address: Patient Experience Team, Highbury Hospital, Highbury Road, Nottingham NG6 9DR

NHS Complaints Advocacy Service


BSL Information Making a Complaint:

Back to top  Back to topBack to topBack to top Help