Nottingham City Single Point of Access for children and young people with behavioural, emotional or mental health needs
This stage of the pathway ensures that children and young people (CYP) who need to access services for behavioural, emotional or mental health needs, or for assessment (including ASD or ADHD assessment), receive support from the most appropriate service to meet their needs.
All referrals for behavioural, emotional or mental health concerns for children and young people will be received at a ‘Single Point of Access’ (SPA) for children and young people with behavioural, emotional or mental health needs.
The SPA is staffed by service advisors, a child and adolescent mental health services manager and a clinical mental health specialist.
The SPA is managed by Nottingham City Council on behalf of Nottingham City Council, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust and Nottingham CityCare Partnership, and with the support of NHS Nottingham City CCG.
Step 1: Refer
- Refer to the SPA for children and young people with behavioural, emotional or mental health needs with appropriate consent using this referral form.
- Single Point of Access 0115 8764000
- Behavioural and Emotional Health team 0115 8761716
Step 2: Screen and triage
- The team at the SPA completes a comprehensive screen and triage and agrees a course of action.
- Advice and support may be given to parents/carers and professionals to enable better access to universal services
A child or young person may be referred to a range of services for assessment/services/interventions:
- Child and adolescent mental health services
- Parenting programmes
- Community paediatrics
- Universal services
- Targeted services
- Education support services
- Children and Young People’s Behavioural and Emotional Health Team
Any information gained from the first stages of the pathway will inform further action by the identified service. This may include assessment and interventions.
The identified service will, with appropriate consent, link with the pathway coordinator to plan any multi-agency support in line with CAF or Team Around the Child (TAC) guidelines.
Further planning and support may be required in circumstances where it may not be clear where children and young people’s needs are best managed.
Remember: Consider safeguarding needs throughout