Skip to main content

Your Money

We have and agreement between Nottingham City Council and the Department for Works and Pensions (DWP) to make sure that we do our very best to work together to support you.
This includes:

  • Being able to claim for benefits before you are 18 so that you are not waiting for them when you become 18.
  • The DWP understands that sometimes things might go wrong so they will always contact your Personal Advisor and Job Centre Leader before imposing any sanctions.


The Leaving Care Service will also ensure that:

  • All Personal Advisors are trained on Universal Credit and able to give you the support you need to get your benefits.
  • We will make sure that your rent is paid directly to your landlord where possible. 
  • We support you with setting up a bank account and accessing your savings.
  • We help you to get identification documents, (important pieces of paper about you) to help you open up a bank account and other important things you need to do.

Nottingham City Council will also exempt you from paying Council Tax up to the age of 20 years.

Advice about Money

Citizens Advice provides free, confidential and impartial advice on big issues affecting people’s lives. They can be contacted on 0300 330 5475 or go to Citizens Advice Website

Welfare Rights is funded by Nottingham City Council and offers free, confidential and impartial advice and advocacy on benefits and tax credits as well as debt advice. You can Telephone on: 0115 915 1355 Lines open: Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:50pm. Email: and advice sessions are run at convenient locations across the city. Home visits can also be arranged if you are unable to attend an appointment because of mobility problems. You can access information on Welfare Rights Service Website

Bestwood Advice Centre, Clifton Advice Centre, Meadows Advice Centre and St. Ann’s Advice Centre can help you with welfare benefits, debt, employment, consumer advice, housing and education. You need to live in those areas to access the support. For more details please look on Welfare Rights Service Website

National Debtline is a national telephone helpline for people with debt problems in England and Wales, and Scotland. They give expert advice over the telephone and via email and send callers in debt a self-help information pack free of charge. The service is free, confidential and independent. They can also assist callers who wish to deal with their debts through a Debt Management Plan. You can call 0808 808 4000 or contact via National Debtline Website

Back to top  Back to topBack to topBack to top Help