Skip to main content

Extended Local Offer for Care Leavers

Are you a Care Leaver aged between 18-25?


Click on the pictures below to find out more

Link to Participation in Society Link to Where you live Link to Your money Link to Your Education, Training and Employment Link to Relationships, Health and Wellbeing Link to Support for 16 plus


Welcome to the Extended Local Offer Website

This website tells you about the support that we will provide in Nottingham for you as a care leaver.

Just because you are leaving care or have already left care, we have not stopped caring about you. We want to make sure that you feel supported and know where and who to go to for advice and help when you need it.

Local care leavers have helped make our booklet. We held six focus groups involving different organisations and included the views of current care leavers. We will continue to listen to you to make sure we offer services that reflect what you need.

This Local Offer has been produced to give you, as a care leaver, an idea of what services Nottingham City Council provides. It has been written with the aim of outlining exactly what you can expect from our organisation: expectations against which we, as a council, can be held to account.

The need for a Local Offer comes from the introduction of the Children and Social Work Act 2017, which basically says that we, the City Council, has to publish information about the services we provide to you and what is available from others. We feel, in Nottingham, that our extended Local Offer should be more than that. This website therefore, builds upon the requirements to provide you with detailed overview of exactly what we offer and how we will deliver it, as well as other information about services. Our aim is to identify and promote what is working well in your life, while exploring concerns, assessing the impact of these and planning what to do in partnership with you.

The support we must give you by law:

Advice and Support from a Personal Advisor

Following changes introduced through the Children and Social Work Act 2017, you will be able to ask for support from a Personal Advisor up to the age of 25, whether you are in education or training or not.

Your Personal Advisor is there to help you to prepare to live independently and to offer advice and support after you leave care. Personal Advisers should talk to you about what support you need and record this information in your pathway plan.

You can have a look at our Corporate Parenting Principles by clicking on this link Corporate Parenting Principles Webpage

Meet the Team

The Leaving Care Service offers advice, information, practical help and befriending to young people aged between 16-25 years who are eligible to receive care leaver support. Click on the Picture to find out more. 

Leaving Care Team Picture

How have we developed our local offer?

The most important people in helping us to put this document together was you, our Care Leavers. We had six focus groups looking at different things that are important to all young people such as health, education, training and employment as well as where you live.

These groups included lots of different people from within Nottingham City Council like our Early Help, leisure and employment teams. We also included people from health, housing, education, training and the Department of Work and Pensions (benefits people!) as well as some of the other organisations that we work with to support you. Nearly all of these groups had two or more Care Leavers who shared their story about what was good about when they left care (so that we can carry on doing it) but more importantly, what they would have liked us to do. We listened to all of this and shared our ideas about what we could do before developing this version of the Local Offer.

We have shared this with the Care Leavers who have supported us already but it is really important that you know this is not the end of what we are doing, it is just the beginning. This is a live document that we want to develop and change based on what you want; so please tell us - we always want to listen and do even better for you.

Each year we do a “Have your Say” survey where we will have a question (or two!) about your experiences. In the future, we will link this to the Local Offer so you will be able to tell us more about what you want then, but you can always talk to your Personal Advisor or join the “Your Voice” our Care Leavers forum.

We have also asked our Children in Care Council how they would like to hear about the Local Offer and they said that they wanted people to tell them about it so we have created a leaflet for you to go through with your Personal Advisor or anyone else you want to talk to.

What to do if you need urgent help and/or support

If there is an emergency and you or someone you know is at risk of harm or a crime is taking place, contact Emergency Services.

Do NOT wait to speak to your Personal Advisor.

It is a good idea to have numbers saved to your phone if it is safe for you, or in a safe place.

Call 999 and ask for police, ambulance or fire service.

Calling 999 and tapping in 55 on the keypad when asked will signal to the call operator that you are in danger, allowing them to send officers to where you are.


If you get in trouble with the Police:

Ask for a solicitor at a Police Station and at Court.

Let the Police/your solicitor know you are a Care Leaver and how to contact your Personal Advisor if you feel happy to share this information, so you can be supported.


If it is not an emergency but you need to contact the police you can call: 101

Crimestoppers 0800 555111 or Crimestoppers webpage

Children in Care Police Officers are also available to help Care Leavers.


If you urgently need to speak with someone about your mental health:

Mental Health Crisis Helpline

Nottinghamshire Healthcare Trust

24/7 crisis helpline for all ages across Nottingham City and Nottinghamshire County. 

Tel: 0808 196 3779

Samaritans call 116 123

For non-emergency medical care, you should visit your chemist or GP or ring 111.

Children in Care & Care Leavers Websites

Base 51 is a charity set up in the heart of Nottingham to support a diverse range of young people, where everybody is welcome aged 11-25.

Through the project “Feeling Our Way”, they provide practical support and activities for young people leaving care. They are there to help you feel healthier, happier and positive about your future.

To find out more or get advice contact Base51 on 0115 9525040 or go to the Base 51 webpage for more information.

Become is a national charity which works to improve the care system and support young people. Their mission is to provide help, support and advice to children in care and young care leavers so that they can take control of their lives and unleash their potential. They want you to reach your dreams through recognising your abilities. They can be contacted by phoning their free number on 0800 023 2033 (lines open Monday-Friday10.30am-3pm), Become Website or by e-mailing

Rees, the Care Leavers Foundation. If you’re looking for information, advice, financial support, or to find a community of people who are care experienced, Rees can help. Reese provides a range of useful extra services that anyone with care experience can take advantage of including a peer network, opportunities, sign posting, a crisis fund, and various other things. It I worth checking out their website to see if they can help support you. Rees Website

The Care Leavers’ Association is a national user-led charity aimed at improving the lives of care leavers of all ages. We bring together the voices and experiences of care leavers to support care leavers of all ages, improve the current care system and change for the better society’s perception of people in care. If you would like to find out more, Care Leavers Website email or call on 0161 236 5665.

Coram Voice can ensure that you know your rights. They can offer advocacy services, ensuring that your voice is heard and acted upon. You can contact their Always Heard service by freephone 0808 800 5792 (lines open Monday – Friday 9.30am – 6pm, Saturday 10am – 4pm) Coram Voice Website or email You can also download a PDF copy of Sorted and Supported: Your Guide to Leaving Care Entitlements.

Capstone Care Leavers Trust (CCLT) awards grants to people aged 17-25 years who have been in local authority care in England or Wales and are in need. The CCLT also offers advice and guidance to young people to help reduce their experience of social exclusion and enhance their life chances. They can be contacted on 0121 374 2601. They will consider awarding grants for lots of different things like training courses, travel costs to places of study/ training. Capstone Website

Catch 22 supports care leavers in the transition from care to independence. Catch 22 Website

They can support with:

  • alternative education provision
  • support for children who go missing and/or experience sexual exploitation
  • skills development programmes such as the National Citizen Service
  • housing support and a peer landlord scheme
  • apprenticeships and employability services, including Care2Work
  • engagement within prison or youth offenders institutes.

And Finally…

We will help you to share your views and be involved in improving the way we support you and other care leavers by listening to your views in meetings and by surveys.

Or you could be part of the Your Voice Group, the Care Leavers Consultation group. The group is closely linked to the Children in Care Council with care leavers regularly feeding back on the work undertaken by the group, to other young people approaching leaving care.

The Your Voice Group has participated in meetings with Councillors regarding access to housing and supported accommodation, education, employment and training and the ‘Have Your Say survey findings.

For any additional information, or to talk through the contents of this booklet, please contact your Personal Advisor who will be happy to help you.

Back to top  Back to topBack to topBack to top Help