Skip to main content

Nottingham City Children's Social Care Service

Nottingham City Children’s Social Care is made up of 12 community based social work teams who work with children in the local areas across our city.

What Social Workers do?

Social workers help children and families to identify areas of need and to offer support. They do this by:

  • Identifying strengths
  • Looking at what may need to change, and when
  • Creating a plan to make those changes happen

Where a child may be suffering harm, abuse or neglect, social workers have a duty to investigate things with the police and other agencies. As a result of their investigations, they may hold a meeting with the family, to share information and agree a plan of support. They will also consider providing an intensive support package to work with the whole family in order to reduce the risks or concerns, which led to the children suffering harm.

Where social workers have evidence that a child cannot be kept safe, they may apply to the family court for an order for the child to be placed in Council Care, often with foster carers. Parents are always told and given access to legal support if this happens.

Children’s Social Care work with other services such as Early Help and Targeted Family Support to help children get the right service at the right time

How to Access our service or if you are Worried about a child


If you are concerned about a child or feel that you need support for your own child/children please contact our Children and Families Direct Service on Tel 0115 8764800.

Children and Families Direct Service provides a single point of contact for professionals and members of the public who want to seek support or raise concerns about a child.

We want to keep all children and young people in Nottingham safe from harm. If you are concerned about a child please contact us. We will listen, assess your concerns, and can take action if a child is at risk and/in need of family support services.

If you are not sure whether a child is at risk you can discuss the circumstances with us or with someone else who works with children, such as a teacher, health visitor or the NSPCC. All professionals who work with children have a responsibility to safeguard them and will know how to help.

Who to contact

0115 8764800

Other Details

Back to top  Back to topBack to topBack to top Help