African Institute for Social Development (AISD)
Here at AISD, we value our membership with the African Health Policy Network (AHPN) that lobby, influence health policies and enable Africans to speak with a national collective and representative voice on matters of health with special focus on HIV and sexual Health. We partner locally with the Terrence Higgins Trust, NHS Nottingham/shire and Nottingham Refugee Forum. We also partner with LASS in Leicester, DPS in Derby and Sun Rise Families in Corby. “Health4U” is an ongoing partnership research work with University of Nottingham until October 2014.
With the support of HPE, we seek to improve health, welfare and quality of life of Africansin the region through community work, community learning and media:
- Condoms distribution and demonstration in the community.
- Support individual to take an HIV test.
- Support and help for individuals and families to develop coping strategies and enhance their health and welbeing.
- Links with volunteers for befriending and peer support services.
- Work with individual providing one-to-one emotional support.
Our Community Actions
- We run community sessions in HIV, sexual health and other related health conditions.
- Mixed HIV status survey in African couples study is still under way. AISD partners Sigmaresearch to pilot the research in Nottingham.
- We are involved in consultancy and research on HIV policy work.
- We provide practical support and referrals to specialist agencies to Refugee Charities, Benefits and Immigration Agencies, National Asylum Support.
- Service (NASS), Health and Social care Services, health, housing and social care.
Who to contact
Where to go
T3 Technology Wing
Lenton Business Centre
- NG7 2BY