Skip to main content

Sensory & Physical Team - Hearing Impairment (Inclusive Education Service)

Who are we?

We are a team of qualified Teachers of the Deaf, Educational Audiologist, BSL instructors, specialist teaching assistants, who are based in the Nottingham City Inclusive Education Service.

We work closely with your deaf child and your family in homes, early years settings and in schools in order for your child to achieve the best they can

What do we do?

  • We can give you and your family information, support and advice about deafness and how it affects your child and your family.
  • For pre school children we can work with you and your child at home to help you develop your child’s communication, this may be spoken language or sign language or both.
  • We can help you explore school  and nursery placements for your child
  • We give information, support and advice around deafness to schools.
  • We carry out assessments in order to help you and the school understand your child’s needs.
  • We may loan audiological equipment to help your child hear in school and help them and school to learn how to use it
  • We provide specialist teaching to support learning.
  • We can talk to other people involved with your child such as hearing clinic staff and speech and language therapists, helping you to understand what they’ve said and passing on any important information
  • We can observe your child in school, then work with and provide training to the school staff to make sure that your child’s needs are met.
  • We can support the school in setting realistic targets for your child, and provide strategies and resources to help them meet their targets.
  • We can help with your child’s move between classes and schools, passing on all the information about your child’s needs and if necessary supporting your child on visits.
    • We can provide assemblies for pupils about understanding deafness

Who do we work with?

We can work with you and your child if

  • your child has been identified as having  a hearing impairment
  • you live in Nottingham City and your child attends a Nottingham City School, or you live outside of Nottingham City but your child attends a city school.

How do we work?

  • We can work with you and your child at home until they are old enough to go to school or nursery.
  • We can work in schools and settings along side your child’s teacher and teaching assistants when they are school age

Who can refer to our service?

Anyone can refer a child to our service.  You can refer your child yourself or referrals can come from the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) at your child’s school or educational setting or from other professionals working with you or your family such as staff at the hearing clinic.

Who to contact

0115 8765340
Back to top  Back to topBack to topBack to top Help