Skip to main content

Sensory & Physical Team - Physical Disability (Inclusive Education Service)

Who are we?

Our team consists of a coordinator/ teacher of children with a physical disability an occupational therapist, moving and handling advisor, who are based in OakfieldSchool and are part of the Nottingham City Inclusive Education Service.

We work closely with your child with a physical disability and your family in schools in order for your child to achieve the best they can

What do we do?

  • We can give you and your family information, support and advice about a physical disability and how it may affect your child and your family.
  • We give information, support and advice around a physical disability to schools.
  • We carry out environmental audits to make sure that the school or setting is safe
  • We carry out assessments in order to help you and the school understand your child’s needs.
  • We provide consultation and planning with teachers and teaching assistants on modification to the curriculum
  • Following an assessment, we may loan specialist equipment to help your child in school and support them and school to learn how to use it
  • We can talk to other people involved with your child such as physiotherapists and occupational  therapists, helping you to understand what they’ve said and passing on any important information to school
  • We work alongside other professionals involved with the child to make sure they understand the implications of a physical disability.
  • We work with children at school and in other settings to develop skills, reinforce learning and provide specialist, modified resources.
  • We can support the school in setting realistic targets for your child, and provide strategies and resources to help them meet their targets.
  • We can help with your child’s move between classes and schools, passing on all the information about your child’s needs.

Who do we work with?

We can work with you and your child if

  • your child has been identified as having a long term physical disability
  • you live in Nottingham City and your child attends a Nottingham City School, or you live outside of Nottingham City but your child attends a city school.

How do we work?

  • We work in schools and settings along side your child’s Teacher and Teaching assistants

Who can refer to our service?

Anyone can refer a child to our service.  You can refer your child yourself or referrals can come from the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) at your child’s school or educational setting or from other professionals working with you or your family such as a paediatrician or physiotherapist.

Who to contact

0115 9153265
Back to top  Back to topBack to topBack to top Help