Skip to main content

Your Participation in Society & Getting Your Voice Heard

We want you to feel part of society and to feel you make a positive contribution to it. We can help you by providing information about groups and activities in your area and we have a website called “AskLion” that has lots of additional information that you might want to know about.

Your right to be heard and taken seriously

You have a right to be involved in all decisions about your plans for leaving care. All of this will be covered in a plan that will set out how you will be supported as you become an adult. This is your Pathway Plan.

Throughout your time in care you had a right to support from an independent advocate and this is the same even now you are a Care Leaver. Independent advocates can inform you about your rights and help you to be heard in meetings. They are separate from Children’s Services. If you already had an advocate and want to continue with this support or would like to get in touch with one please speak to your Personal Advisor and they will assist you with this.

You have a right to see the information we keep about you, including the files and records written about you when you were in care. We will advise you about how to get these records if you want to do this.

Celebrating Achievements

In previous years, we have gathered to hold Achievement Awards, including a three-course meal and live music. Whilst these large-scale events are not currently possible, we continue to look for opportunities to celebrate your successes with you.

Leaving Care Achievement award picture

Getting your voice heard

We know that you are the experts in your own lives and we want to hear about how the things we have offered you have either helped you or not!

You can always speak to your Personal Advisor but we also have a Care Leavers forum in Nottingham City called “Your Voice”. We meet 4 times a year where you can meet to discuss things that are relevant to you. What you say helps to shape the way we do things in the future for you. If you are interested please discuss with your Personal Advisor or ring the team: 0115 8761333.

The annual Have Your Say Survey gives Children in Care and Care Leavers the chance to share their views and experiences of care and leaving care. The survey was designed with young people, as a way of measuring the success or otherwise of the pledges in the Children in Care and Care Leavers’ Charter.

The survey enables partners to understand better what children and young people think about the services they use, and how well they feel they are supported throughout their journey in care and post-care.

Survey findings are assessed by members of the CiC Council and Your Voice participation groups, before being presented to the Corporate Parenting Board and then shared with services and teams. The survey results help services identify areas where they can make improvement. A ‘You Said, We Did’ summary of actions taken helps provide feedback to Survey respondents.

The survey is available in both paper and online formats, and an easy-read version is available for younger children and those with learning support needs. Respondents may choose to remain anonymous, however in order for each survey return to be read for safeguarding issues a unique number on each survey enables staff to identify respondents in need of help, if needed.

Legal Advice & Advocacy Support

The Mix can provide non-judgemental legal advice and support on a wide range of things for young people under 25 years old and can be contacted on 0808 808 4994. Go to The Mix Website

The Children’s Society is a national charity offering a variety of services to young people including advocacy. Go to Childrens Society Website

Community Legal Advice helpline offers free, confidential and independent legal advice for residents of England and Wales. You need to Text 'legalaid' and your name to 80010. CLA will call back within 24 hours. Calls cost 4pence per minute from a standard BT landline, calls from mobiles may be more or ask us to call you back.

Nottingham Law Centre offers free, confidential and independent advice to anyone who lives or works in the City of Nottingham. They give advice on Debt, Housing and Welfare Benefits. Go to Nottingham Law Centre Website

Back to top  Back to topBack to topBack to top Help